To fulfil its purpose, the Legal Department undertakes the following:
- Provides legal opinions and legal advice on a wide variety of matters.
- Appears as counsel before courts of civil jurisdiction, provincial offences court and a wide variety of tribunals such as the Ontario Municipal Board.
- Acts as solicitor in all real property matters.
- Assists in the preparation and approval of agreements and contracts.
- Prepares by-laws.
- Initiates civil proceedings and prosecutions.
- Oversees the appointment and function of outside counsel and their work.
Legal Services to the Public
We do not provide legal services to the public. Members of the public who require legal services are requested to call:
- Lawyers listed in the telephone directory or yellow pages
- The Durham Community Legal Clinic at 905-728-7321
- Legal Aid Durham at 905-576-2124
- The Law Society of Upper Canada Lawyer referral service at 416-947-5255 or 1-855-947-5255
www.findlegalhelp.ca (English) or www.recherchejurise.ca (French)
To provide high quality legal advice and representation to the Region of Durham in a timely and cost-effective manner.
To provide advice and representation which will ensure that the actions undertaken by the Region of Durham will:
- comply with all applicable laws
- have the desired legal effect
- be arranged so as to minimize exposure to legal liability