Bookmark this page

Immunization Notices

What do I do?

If you have received a letter from Durham Region Health Department, requesting up-to-date immunization information for your child/children, please follow the instructions in the letter.

Immunization law

Be Wise Immunize

Vaccinate... Then Update!

How to Report

Provide vaccine updates using one of the following ways:

  • Give a copy to your child’s school
  • Fax to: 905-666-6216
  • Mail to:
    Durham Region Health Department
    Attn: Immunization
    605 Rossland Road E, P.O. Box 730
    Whitby, ON L1N 0B2
  • Telephone 905-666-6242

Always include your child’s legal name, date of birth, school/daycare.

To keep children healthy, students under 18 years of age attending school in Ontario must provide proof of immunization against the following diseases, as outlined in the Immunization of School Pupils Act:

  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Polio
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella
  • Varicella/Chickenpox (if born on or after January 1, 2010)
  • Meningococcal Group C (if born on or after September 1, 2004 and is under 12 years of age)
  • Meningococcal Group ACYW-135 (if born on or after January 1, 1997 and is 12 years of age or older; must have the conjugate vaccine e.g., Menactra®).

The Durham Region Health Department keeps immunization records of children attending school to make sure they are up-to-date according to age and schedule.

During the school year, students who are missing required immunizations will receive a notice from Durham Region Health Department to update this information.

Healthcare Providers do not provide updates to the Health Department. Parents must provide these updates.

What do I need to do?

  1. Check if your child is up-to-date.
    If you are unsure, talk to your healthcare provider (e.g., doctor, nurse practitioner)
  1. Update the Health Department with every immunization.
  • Ensure your child’s full name, date of birth and school name are included on the update.
  • You can provide the update using one of the following ways:
    • Send a copy of your child’s immunization record to their school office
    • Mail to: Durham Region Health Department (Immunization), 605 Rossland Rd E, P.O. Box 730, Whitby, ON L1N 0B2
    • Fax to: 905-666-6216
    • Telephone: Durham Health Connection Line 905-666-6242 or 1-800-841-2729
      Immunization Program - Questionnaire

What happens if I receive a notice?

If your child’s record is not up-to-date according to their age and immunization schedule, you may receive a notice from the Health Department. The notice will have a deadline. Follow the instructions on the notice. Failure to provide the required immunization information after multiple warnings or notices may result in suspension from school.

Immunization Exemption

Your child may be exempt for immunizations due to medical, religious, or philosophical/conscience reasons. Please call us for one of the following exemption forms:

  • Statement of Medical Exemption, this must be completed by a doctor.
  • Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit,legal document which must be signed and stamped by a Commissioner of Oaths (e.g., notary public, town clerk, Member of Parliament, lawyer, judge, justice of the peace).

The correct and original forms must be submitted with proper signatures.

See the risks and responsibilities for your child if your child is not immunized.