Durham Nuclear Health Committee
In 1992, Ontario’s Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee conducted public hearings regarding the proposed expansion of the Ajax Water Supply Plant and recommended that the Durham Nuclear Health Committee (DNHC) be established. After thorough consultation with key stakeholders, the Council of the Regional Municipality of Durham created the DNHC in the fall of 1995.
The DNHC shall act as a forum for primarily discussing and addressing radiological emissions from nuclear facilities in Durham Region to assess the potential environmental human health impacts.
DNHC is chaired by the Region's Commissioner & Medical Officer of Health. Membership of the DNHC consists of nine public members from Whitby, Oshawa, Ajax, Clarington and Pickering who are appointed by Council; two representatives of Ontario Power Generation (OPG); and four Provincial/Regional government representatives.
The DNHC meets approximately once every two months at Regional Headquarters. Check the latest draft agenda for current meeting location.
- Agendas, Minutes & Presentations
- Final Revised Terms of Reference
- Membership of the DNHC
- 2014 Radiation Health Response Plan, Emergency Management Branch, MOHLTC
- Radiation and Health in Durham Region Status Update - Presentation to DHNC on Nov. 15, 2013
- Estimating cancer risk in relation to tritium exposure from routine operation of a nuclear-generating station in Pickering, Ontario (Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada, 2013)
- Radiation & Health in Durham Region Executive Summary,
English | French
- Radiation & Health in Durham Region Full Report, 2007
Get More Information About the DNHC & Get Your Concerns Addressed
The public is encouraged to contact public members of the DNHC to discuss their concerns and to ensure that they are adequately addressed. In addition, DNHC members are available to attend meetings or to communicate with other groups to address their concerns.
For more information about the DNHC please contact:
Dr. Robert Kyle, Commissioner & Medical Officer of Health
Durham Region Health Department, P.O. Box 730
Whitby, ON L1N 0B2
Phone: 905-668-7711 or 1-800-841-2729
Please do not email inquiries related to personal or private health concerns. Please call 1-800-841-2729 and your call will be directed to the appropriate contact in the Health Department. We reply to emails within 2 business days.