Seasonal Influenza aka "the flu"
Overview: What is seasonal influenza?
What is seasonal Influenza?
Seasonal influenza or "the flu" is a common illness that affects the nose, throat and lungs
- It is spread from person to person through:
- touching common surfaces that have been in contact with the flu virus
Healthy people can even spread the flu to others before feeling symptoms themselves
What are the symptoms of the flu?
Flu symptoms include:
Children may also experience:
- earaches, vomiting and diarrhea
How the Flu Makes You Sick
Who is at high risk?
People at a greater risk for serious flu complications (such as pneumonia):
- older adults
- young children (under 5 years of age)
- pregnant women
- people with chronic medical problems
- residents in nursing homes and long term care facilities
- Aboriginal Peoples