Community Food Security
What is Food Security?
Community food security is defined as a situation in which all community residents obtain a safe, culturally acceptable, nutritionally adequate diet through a sustainable food system that maximizes community self-reliance and social justice. Hamm and Bellows, J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35:27-43
Learn More About Food Security
An overview of the food security challenges faced by Durham Region residents. Watch Hunger in Durham.
- Hunger in Durham 2016
- 2016 The Price of Eating Well Newsletter
- Position Statement on Responses to Food Insecurity - OSNPPH
- Food Insecurity Infographic - OSNPPH
- Food Insecurity - Social Determinants of Health The Canadian Facts
- Canada's Food Guide, Health Canada
- The impact of social forces on our access to food - watch An Introduction to Food Security
- Health Starts With...
Social Determinants of Health