Healthy Workplaces: Helping You Create a Healthy Workplace
A healthy workplace makes it easy for employees to be healthy at work. A healthy workplace has an environment that is supportive of healthy choices.
There are many ways a workplace can support healthy choices:
- Share healthy messages in a workplace newsletter, posters, email messages, etc.
- Teach or support being healthy through presentations, challenges, workshops, etc.
- Have healthy options available, for example healthy vending machine options, bike racks available, shaded and smoke free area available for outdoor breaks, etc.
- Have policies or guidelines that support being healthy: flex policy so employees can be active on breaks or lunch, sun protection provided to outdoor workers, guideline for healthy food choices to be available when providing food to employees, etc.
Adults spend about half of their waking hours at work. Research shows that where employees work affects their health. A workplace can improve the health of its employees by becoming a healthy workplace.
Healthy workplaces have many benefits, which include:
- Improved productivity
- Lower health benefit costs
- Less absenteeism
- Fewer injuries and illnesses
- Improved job satisfaction
- Improved workplace morale
- Improved workplace image
There are proven successful steps workplaces can do to create a healthy workplace.
- Gain Commitment: Make sure your workplace supports becoming a healthy workplace.
- Create a Healthy Workplace Team: Know who is helping to make it a healthy workplace.
- Situational Assessment: Learn what your healthy workplace priorities are, and what employees want.
- Create a Health Plan: Plan what your healthy workplace team will do.
- Implement the Plan: Do the things you have planned.
- Evaluate: Take a look at what you have done, which will help your workplace become even better.
- Celebrate and Plan for Next Year: A healthy workplace team has a lot to celebrate! Take time to enjoy what you have done, and then begin planning for next year.
Public Health Nurses are available to support Durham Region workplaces. Contact the Durham Health Connection Line at 1-800-841-2729 to learn more.
The Healthy Workplaces Toolkit can help because it has many examples and more information about doing the steps. The toolkit also has some tools and templates to help you complete the steps and make a Healthy Workplace Plan. Download the toolkit now.
Below is a list of resources for print or download.
- Healthy Workplaces Newsletters
- Healthy Workplace Award
- Early Detection of Cancer for Workplaces
- Healthy Eating for Workplaces
- Healthy Weights
- Physical Activity for Workplaces
- Sun Safety for Workplaces
- Tobacco-Free Living for Workplaces
- Managing Work Stress
- Addressing Alcohol in the Workplace
- Adult Fall Prevention for Workplaces
Healthy workplaces make a difference. Get started with your workplace today! Contact Durham Health Connection Line at 1-800-841-2729 to learn more.