Potassium Iodide (KI) Tablets
Durham Region is home to two nuclear power stations, Pickering Nuclear Generating Station and Darlington Nuclear Generating Station. In the unlikely event of an accident at one of these plants involving a release of radioactive iodine to the outdoor air, KI tablets could be the key to keeping you and your family safe.
In October 2015, Durham Region Health Department in partnership with Ontario Power Generator, distributed KI tablets to all business and homes within a 10 km radius of both nuclear generating stations (also known as the primary zone), as a requirement of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. Schools, child care centres, and health care facilities within the primary zone had already received their supply of KI in 2012.
Are you in the Primary Zone?
Have you or someone you know recently moved to Durham Region and live or work close to a nuclear plant?
If so, you’ll want to check out the link below:
- To confirm if you are in the 10 km primary zone
- If you want to order or re-order KI tablets
- For additional information about KI
- Durham Region KI Tablet Distribution Campaign
- KI Tablets Fact Sheet Q&A
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management
- Pharmacy Information
Need help ordering KI tablets or want to speak with a Public Health Inspector? Call Durham Region Health Department Environmental Help Line at 905-723-3818 or 1-888-777-9613.