Beauty & Body Art Safety
Infection Prevention & Control Best Practices for Personal Services Settings
Know Before You Go Durham
As of June 1, 2016 all personal services settings (PSS) operating in Durham Region are required to participate in accordance with the Durham Region Personal Services Setting By-law # 17-2016. Read more...
Durham Region Health Department is mandated by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) to conduct inspections of personal services settings in Durham Region. These services include tattooing, body and ear piercing, electrolysis, micropigmentation, acupuncture, manicures, pedicures, hairdressing/barbering, waxing, facials, tanning and relaxation massages.
The MOHLTC Personal Services Settings Best Practices outlines the minimum standards for cleaning, sanitation and basic infection control practices to prevent the transmission of blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C and AIDS and other types of infection for both clients and PSWs during the delivery of personal services. The Best Practices document applies to any services/settings (including special events) where there is a risk of exposure to blood or body fluids.
Some personal services settings (PSS) in Durham Region have advertised that they are "Health Department Approved". Durham Region Health Department does NOT provide approval, certification or licensing to ANY personal services setting. Inspections are conducted but APPROVALS, CERTIFICATIONS OR LICENCES ARE NOT ISSUED by the Durham Region Health Department. (Note: Municipalities may issue business licences)
In addition, there may be personal services settings that may operate, in homes or other locations, which have never been inspected by the Health Department. To ensure that you are receiving service from a Health Department inspected premise, ask the business owner/operator to show you their last Durham Region Health Department PSS Inspection Report.
Durham Region Health Department will also provide information to the public and respond to complaints regarding these services/settings. For information on the most recent inspection report for a particular establishment, please call our Environmental Help Line at 1-888-777-9613.
Single-Use Disposable Items vs Reusable Items
- Accidental Exposure Recording Form
- Blood-borne Diseases
- Facts About... Boil Water Advisories
& Operational Requirements
English | Vietnamese
- Know Your Inspector
- Routine Practices
English | Vietnamese
Letter to Personal Services Setting Owner/Operator
- Cosmetic Sampling Guidelines
- Letter to Personal Services Settings Owner/Operator, July 2011
- Letter to Owner/Operators of Cosmetics Services Premises, March 2010
- Letter to Personal Services Settings Owner/Operator, March 2010
- Letter to Personal Services Settings Owner/Operator, August 2009
- Letter to Personal Services Setting Owner/Operator, April 2009
- Letter to Personal Services Setting Owner/Operator, February 2009
PSS Best Practices
- Infection Prevention and Control Best Practices for Personal Services Settings
- What's new in the 2009 Best Practices document?
Infection Prevention & Control
- Chlorine Dilution Calculator
- Cleaning, Disinfection & Sterilization Flowchart
- Cleaning Instruments
Your Cough" Poster
English | French
- Disinfection Chart
- Preparing Household Bleach as a Disinfectant
- Cleaning a Blood or Body Fluid Spill
English | French
- Stop the Spread of Germs! Prevent the Spread of Illnesses
- Biological Monitoring of Sterilizer
- Chemical & Physical Monitoring
- Spore Strip Laboratory/Supplier Testing Information
- Sterilization Log Sheet
Community Special Events Applications
Request a Presentation/Display
The Personal Services Settings Team is available for presentations or to set up a "Beauty & Body Art Safety" display. More information.