It's Never Too Late To Quit
What is your reason for quitting?
- Decrease the risk of developing cancer, heart disease and lung disease.
- Be a role model for your children and family.
- Save money that would otherwise go to a tobacco company.
- Protect your family from second-hand smoke.
- Improve your chances of having children
- Partially or fully improve erectile dysfunction.
- Protect the environment from the litter of cigarette butts
Everyone has their own reason for quitting. What is yours?
About 84% of Durham Region residents don’t smoke. You can join them by quitting smoking.
Tobacco remains the number one preventable cause of death in Canada.
- Approximately 37,000 Canadians (which includes 13,000 Ontarians) die every year from tobacco use.
Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causing many diseases and reducing the lives of smokers.
Some of the adverse health effects caused by smoking include:
- heart disease
- chronic lung diseases
- many types of cancer
Quitting smoking has immediate as well as long-term health benefits, by reducing risks for diseases caused by smoking and improving health in general.
Did you know?
- Within 20 Minutes Of Quitting
Blood pressure decreases and your pulse returns to normal.
- After 8 hours
Carbon monoxide level in your body decreases.
- After 24 hours
Chances of having a heart attack decreases.
- After 48 hours
Sense of smell and taste improves.
- After 4 days
Lung capacity increases.
- 2 weeks to 3 months
Blood circulation increases.
- 1 to 9 months
Coughing, fatigue and shortness of breath decreases.
- After 1 year
Risk of heart attack is cut in half.
Not Ready to Quit?
You may not feel ready to quit. However, you can still protect your family and friends from the health hazards of second-hand smoke, by making your home and car smoke-free. It may be your first step to a smoke-free life.