Bookmark this page

Know Your Inspector

  • Public health inspectors have the responsibility to inspect places such as food premises (e.g. restaurants, any stores that carry or make food, mobile food vehicles, cafeterias, caterers), public pools, day cares, and personal services settings (some examples of services: tattoos, piercings, nails, permanent make-up, electrolysis, esthetics, hair, tanning).
  • Tobacco Enforcement Officers have the responsibility to inspect businesses that sell tobacco products.

Recently, there have been reports of impersonators in the GTA acting as inspectors who do inspections, give requirements and charge for the inspection. Durham Region Health Department Environmental Health Division does not require payment for inspection of these places.

All Inspectors and Tobacco Enforcement Officers carry a badge and Durham Region picture ID.  If you do not recognize the Inspector, ask for their ID and/or business card.  If you are still unsure of the person, call 905-723-3818 to speak with a Manager to confirm the Inspector’s identity.

The following are legitimate costs for certain services that are offered by the Environmental Health Division:

Sewage Systems Fee Schedule

Lawyer Letter General/Tobacco


Food Handler Course

If you have recently paid for an "inspection", please notify the Environmental Helpline at 905-723-3818 and contact Durham Regional Police at 905-579-1520 or toll free 1-888-579-1520 to report your incident.