Grade 5 Action Pass
Has your child enjoyed using their Grade 5 Action Pass?
Durham Region Health Department would like to post your Grade 5 Action Pass story on this webpage. Let us know what you like best about the pass, where you have used it, or how you have benefitted from it. Grade 5 students or parents are encouraged to submit their story by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Durham Region Health Department - Grade 5 Action Pass Stories Contest, 605 Rossland Road East, PO BOX 730, Whitby, Ontario, L1N 0B2
- Fax: 905-666-6214
Submit by July 31, 2015, for a chance to win a $25 gift card.
- Prizes: Four $25 gift cards to Sport Chek.
- Deadline for Submission: Story entries must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 31, 2015.
- Contest Rules and Regulations
The Grade 5 Action Pass gives Durham Region Grade 5 students free:
- public swimming
- public skating
- other programs
Use the pass as many times as you want from September 2014 to August 31, 2015.
Grade 5 students with an adult need to:
Take a Grade 5 Action Pass postcard to their local participating municipal recreation centre or Durham Family YMCA.
- Bring proof of their address and date of birth.
- Students registering in Uxbridge, and in Scugog must also provide any current photo
(1 inch by 1.5 inch).
- Students registering in Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and Clarington will have their photo taken at the recreation centre for their pass.
- Brock students who would like to have a Grade 5 Action Pass will have their picture taken in their classroom. Pictures will be taken and the passes will be created by the Township of Brock Recreation.
Students can obtain their Grade 5 Action Pass at the following locations:
Town of Ajax
- Ajax Community Centre (905-427-8811)
- McLean Community Centre (905-428-7711)
- Audley Recreation Centre (905- 427-2468)
Township of Brock
- At school: Photo taken and passes distributed by the Township of Brock Recreation.
Municipality of Clarington
- Courtice Community Complex (905-404-1525)
- Clarington Fitness Centre (905-623-3392)
- Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex (905-623-5728)
- Newcastle & District Recreation Complex (905-987-5667)
- South Courtice Arena (905-435-1061)
City of Pickering
- Pickering Recreation Complex (905-831-1711 or 905-683-6582)
City of Oshawa
- Legends Centre (905-436-5455)
- Oshawa Civic Recreation Centre (905-436-5454)
- South Oshawa Community Centre (905-436-5474)
- Donevan Recreation Complex (905-725-3536)
- Durham Family YMCA (905- 438-9622)
Township of Scugog
- Scugog Arena (905-985-8698)
Township of Uxbridge
- Uxpool (905-852-3081)
Town of Whitby
- Whitby Civic Recreation Complex (905-666-1991)
- Brooklin Community Centre and Library (905 655-2010)
- Town of Ajax - public swimming, public skating, and squash
- Township of Brock - public skating
- Municipality of Clarington - public swimming, public skating
- City of Oshawa - public swimming, public skating,
- City of Pickering - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Scugog - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Uxbridge - public swimming, public skating
- Town of Whitby - public swimming, public skating, drop-in programs
- Durham Family YMCA - one year child membership
- Durham College/UOIT Campus Ice Centre - public skating
- Abilities Centre - drop-in classes and programs
- Students wishing to use the Abilities Centre must first get their Grade 5 Action Pass at their local municipal recreation centre.
- In Canada, 93% of children aged 5-11 years are not physically active for 60 minutes each day.
- Children need at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity each day. Examples include: swimming and skating.
- Being physically active:
- helps children focus
- improves learning
- helps children feel good about themselves
- helps children make new friends
- lowers the risk of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, depression and some cancers
- Levels of physical activity tend to drop for both boys and girls as they reach higher grades.
The Grade 5 Action Pass is supported by: