Grade 5 Action Pass
The Grade 5 Action Pass gives Durham Region grade 5 students:
- free public swimming
- free public skating
- some free drop-in programs
Use the pass as many times as you want from September 2013 to August 31, 2014.
Grade 5 students with an adult need to:
- Bring proof of their address and date of birth.
- Students registering in Uxbridge, and in Scugog must also provide a current photo
(1 inch by 1.5 inch).
- Uxbridge students must register at Uxpool.
- Students registering in Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and Clarington will have their photo taken at the recreation centre for their pass.
- Brock students who would like to have a Grade 5 Action Pass will have their picture taken in their classroom. Pictures will be taken and the passes will be created by the Brock Physical Activity Network.
The Grade 5 Action Pass can be used at:
- Town of Ajax - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Brock - public skating
- Municipality of Clarington - public swimming, public skating
- City of Oshawa - public swimming, public skating
- City of Pickering - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Scugog - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Uxbridge - public swimming, public skating
- Town of Whitby - public swimming, public skating
- Durham Family YMCA - one year child membership
- Durham College/UOIT Campus Ice Centre - public skating
- In Canada, 93% of children are not physically active for 60 minutes each day.
- Children (5-11 years) need at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity each day. Examples include: swimming and skating.
- Being physically active:
- Helps children focus
- Improves learning
- Helps children feel good about themselves
- Helps children make new friends
- Lowers the risk of chronic diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, depression and some cancers
- Levels of physical activity tend to drop for both boys and girls as they reach higher grades.
The Grade 5 Action Pass is supported by: