Grade 5 Action Pass
The Grade 5 Action Pass gives Durham Region Grade 5 students free:
- public swimming
- public skating
- other programs
Use the pass as many times as you want from September 2014 to August 31, 2015.
Grade 5 students with an adult need to:
- Bring proof of their address and date of birth.
- Students registering in Uxbridge, and in Scugog must also provide a current photo
(1 inch by 1.5 inch).
- Uxbridge students must register at Uxpool.
- Students registering in Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and Clarington will have their photo taken at the recreation centre for their pass.
- Brock students who would like to have a Grade 5 Action Pass will have their picture taken in their classroom. Pictures will be taken and the passes will be created by the Township of Brock Recreation.
The Grade 5 Action Pass can be used at:
- Town of Ajax - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Brock - public skating
- Municipality of Clarington - public swimming, public skating
- City of Oshawa - public swimming, public skating
- City of Pickering - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Scugog - public swimming, public skating
- Township of Uxbridge - public swimming, public skating
- Town of Whitby - public swimming, public skating
- Durham Family YMCA - one year child membership
- Durham College/UOIT Campus Ice Centre - public skating
- Abilities Centre - drop-in classes and programs
- Students wishing to use the Abilities Centre must first get their Grade 5 Action Pass at their local municipal recreation centre.
- In Canada, 93% of children aged 5-11 years are not physically active for 60 minutes each day.
- Children need at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity each day. Examples include: swimming and skating.
- Being physically active:
- helps children focus
- improves learning
- helps children feel good about themselves
- helps children make new friends
- lowers the risk of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, depression and some cancers
- Levels of physical activity tend to drop for both boys and girls as they reach higher grades.
The Grade 5 Action Pass is supported by: