Bookmark this page
The Regional Municipality of Durham printPrinter Friendly Version

Public Service Announcement

Ensure there are no fire hazards in your household waste!

WHITBY, ON October 28, 2016

The Regional Municipality of Durham, Works Department is reminding residents to be mindful of fire hazards in household waste. Heat sources can start fires when while is stored, collected, transported, sorted and processed.

Please be mindful when disposing of the following items:

  • Cigarette butts: Ensure cigarette butts are completely extinguished before disposing of them in the garbage.
  • Charcoal from BBQs: Ensure charcoal is cold, completely extinguished and securely bagged in a 100 per cent compostable bag before disposing of it in the green bin.
  • Ash from BBQ grills, smokers or fire places: Ensure ash is cold before disposing of it in the green bin.

For more information about waste management and proper disposal options in Durham Region, visit or download the Durham Region Waste App.

- 30 -

For more information, please contact Corporate Communications.