Bookmark this page
The Regional Municipality of Durham printPrinter Friendly Version



Public Service Announcement

Ensure there are no fire hazards in your household waste!

WHITBY, ON January 13, 2017

The Regional Municipality of Durham, Works Department is reminding residents to be mindful of fire hazards in household waste. Heat sources can start fires when waste is stored, collected, transported, sorted and processed.

WHY:

Please be cautious when disposing of the following items:

  • Ash from barbecue grills, smokers or fireplaces: Ensure ash is cold, completely extinguished and securely bagged in a 100 per cent compostable liner bag before disposing of it in the green bin.
  • Charcoal from barbecues: Ensure charcoal is cold, completely extinguished and securely bagged before disposing of it in the garbage.
  • Cigarette butts: Ensure cigarette butts are completely extinguished before disposing of them in the garbage.

NOTE:

For more information about waste management and proper disposal options in Durham Region, visit www.durham.ca/waste and click on “Know before you throw,” or download the Durham Region Waste App.

- 30 -

For more information, please contact Corporate Communications.