Bookmark this page
The Regional Municipality of Durham printPrinter Friendly Version

Public Service Announcement

Reminder: ensure there are no fire hazards in your household waste!

WHITBY, ON October 02, 2017

The Regional Municipality of Durham, Works Department is reminding residents to be mindful of fire hazards in household waste. Heat sources and fuel can start fires when waste is stored, collected, transported, sorted and processed.

Please be cautious when disposing of the following items:

  • Ash from barbecue grills, smokers or fireplaces: Ensure ash is cold, completely extinguished and securely bagged in a 100 per cent compostable liner bag before disposing of it in the green bin. Used fireplace ash can also be used as a slug/snail deterrent in your garden, or as a natural ice melt.
  • Charcoal from barbecues: Ensure charcoal is cold, completely extinguished and securely bagged before disposing of it in the garbage. Used charcoal can also be used as fertilizer or pest deterrent for your garden (as long as it is additive-free).
  • Cigarette butts: Ensure cigarette butts are completely extinguished before disposing of them in the garbage.
  • Propane cylinders: All sizes are considered hazardous waste and should never be put in the garbage or blue box. These should be disposed of at a hazardous waste drop-off site (find one at

For more information about waste management and proper disposal options in Durham Region, visit and click on “Know before you throw,” or download the Durham Region Waste App.

- 30 -

For more information, please contact Corporate Communications.