Job Categories

You may be surprised at the career choices that The Regional Municipality of Durham has to offer!

The following serves as a general overview of the various job categories available with the Region of Durham, including the qualifications we look for when hiring. This listing is a general overview of job categories and includes most, but not all, positions. Therefore, this is not an all-inclusive list.

We receive a large volume of resumes regularly, which means that we may not advertise for a position in a job category that is listed below. Instead, we may just conduct a resume search for qualified applicants, given the quality and quantity of resumes uploaded to our website. Therefore, as a job seeker, it is important that you to submit a copy of your resume online, and register with us for consideration of any future opportunities that may arise.

Administrative/clerical support:

The Region has positions related to a variety of clerical and administrative support roles. These positions are available all across all departments in the Region and range from Clerks and Secretaries to Administrative Assistants. While some positions need a Grade 12 education (plus previous experience in an administrative capacity), others require a post-secondary education in Office Administration, Business Administration or Microcomputer Software Applications. Strong computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint) are required in all clerical and administrative positions. In addition, the successful candidate requires excellent keyboarding, communications, time management, customer service, and multi-tasking skills and abilities.

Child care and children's services:

Child Care Aides, Child Care Program Assistants and Early Childhood Educators (ECE) provide supervised and high-quality programming to children within the Region's six child care centres. Early Childhood Educators (ECE) must possess a diploma or degree in ECE, plus current registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators. Child Care Aides and Child Care Program Assistants require Grade 12, along with training/courses related to child care. Depending on the position, current First Aid/CPR certification or a current Food Handler's Certificate may also be needed. All positions require previous experience working with children, including behaviour management skills, and the ability to work in a team work environment. All positions in the child care centres require proof of updated immunization, prior to commencement of employment.

Behaviour Consultants provide assessments to parents and child care providers regarding challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities. Qualifications for Behaviour Consultants include a degree or diploma in Social Sciences (including specialized training in Applied Behaviour Analysis) and extensive experience directly related to the role. These positions travel to child care centres, and visit in families’ homes on a regular basis. Therefore, a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver's Licence, and access to a reliable vehicle, is also required.

Caseworkers review child care subsidy applications and determine the eligibility of clients for subsidy, review the client's child care needs, and place children in appropriate settings; provide support for families involved in employment or educational pursuits; ensure compliance with the Day Nurseries Act, and Ontario Works Act. Qualifications for Caseworkers include A bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, comprehensive knowledge of Day Nurseries Act, Ontario Works Act, as well as relevant child care legislation and policy directives; proficiency and experience in database management and keyboarding skills; superior oral and written communication skills coupled with the ability to interact with a diverse group of people in a busy/team environment, customer service skills and conflict resolution, problem solving, time management and organizational skills. Visits to clients’ homes may be required, therefore, a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver's Licence, and access to a reliable vehicle, is also required.

Positions in the Children’s Services Division, which work directly with children, also require a current acceptable criminal reference check with vulnerable sector clearance, prior to commencement of employment.

Communications and public relations:

Communications and public relations professionals are responsible for providing strategic communications services to the corporation. They co-ordinate internal and external communications activities, while helping to increase awareness of Regional programs and services. Qualifications include a diploma or degree in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations, as well as previous experience in the communications field. Superior research and written communication abilities, along with experience using various graphic art software is also required. Photography and event planning skills are considered an asset. A valid Class “G” Ontario Driver's Licence is also needed.

Conventional operators (transit bus drivers):
Conventional Operators are committed to providing quality service to passengers. This role requires a valid Ontario Vehicle Operator's permit class "B" or "C," a good driving record, and strong interpersonal, customer service and verbal communication skills.

Engineering and construction services:

Water supply, sewage, waste management, transportation services and facilities management are provided by various engineering and construction professionals within the Works Department. They supply safe drinking water, provide recycling services, maintain roads and traffic management, and plan and develop new infrastructure to meet the requirements and expectations for both current and future residents. Qualifications vary based on the position, and may include a diploma or degree in Civil Engineering, including registration as a Certified Engineering Technician/Technologist (C.Tech or C.E.T), or membership as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.). Due to the nature of these positions, previous project management experience, along with strong analytical and problem solving skills, is essential.

Facilities maintenance and custodial services:

Facilities maintenance and custodial services staff provide service and support to ensure Regional buildings and facilities are maintained and operate effectively and efficiently. As a minimum, entry level positions require a Grade 12 diploma, along with additional specialized courses in plumbing, electrical or HVAC; experience with security and plumbing/electrical systems; and experience with floor/carpet care, cleaning products and handling equipment. Other facilities maintenance related positions require formal post-secondary education, such as completion of the Facilities Systems Mechanic or Facilities Systems Technician Apprenticeship Diploma Program. A Certificate of Qualification from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities is essential for specific positions including Facilities Maintenance Mechanic and Facilities Maintenance Technician. Previous experience (directly related); knowledge in building maintenance procedures, security and fire safety programs, building codes and contract services; strong troubleshooting skills; and the ability to work as a team, and independently, are a must.

Some positions travel to various Regional buildings on a regular basis, so a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver's Licence and access to a reliable vehicle is required. For positions that involve driving fleet vehicles, a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and an acceptable driver’s abstract is also required.

Contract positions for on-site Janitors, who live at specific Social Services Housing locations, require custodial-related experience. These positions deal directly with seniors and families. Therefore, a current acceptable criminal reference screening with vulnerable sector clearance is required.

Finance and accounting:

From Accounting Clerks, Financial Analysts, Procurement Officers, Expediter-Buyers and Economic Analysts, these staff collaborate to provide efficient and prudent financial management for the Region. Qualifications differ based on the area of specialization and the level of responsibility related to the position. Qualifications generally include a minimum of a diploma or degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Commerce or Economics, in addition to knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Many positions also require completion of, or enrolment in, a professional association, which may include certification as Certified General Account (CGA), Certified Management Account (CMA), Chartered Accountant (CA), or Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP). Those who are in progress in attaining their designations may also be considered. Previous experience in an accounting/financial function, along with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, are necessary. This position also requires superior analytical skills.

Food and nutrition services:

A number of positions are available in the food services and nutrition industry through the Region's Health Department and the Social Services Department’s, Long Term Care and Services for Seniors Division. Food Service Workers must possess completion or enrolment in a Food Service Worker Certificate Program, as well as a current Food Handler's Certificate that is valid within the last five years. Alternatively, those with a diploma or degree in food and nutrition will also be considered.

Cooks and Dietitian positions in our long-term care facilities require relevant post-secondary education, plus certification and registration in their field of study. Public Health Nutritionists require a Master's Degree in Public Health or Community Nutrition. These positions require comprehensive knowledge of the Canada Food Guide and relevant Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care legislation and standards, in addition to strong interpersonal communication and customer service abilities.

Health services:

The Health Department promotes and protects the health of Durham Region residents by providing a wide range of health-enhancing programs and services to promote and protect community health and prevent infectious diseases. They also inspect for health hazards and investigate occupational and environmental health hazards. We employ staff in various health professions. However, a degree or diploma in the requisite field of study is required for all positions. Nursing positions also require current registration as a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner with the Ontario College of Nurses. Strong assessment, interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills are essential as must demonstrate a caring and compassionate attitude.

Information technology services:

Information Technology staff manage the networks required for email and Regional websites, oversee wireless connectivity, provide technology security, and support computer programs for staff. Requirements will vary based on the position, but will generally consist of a diploma or degree in Information Technology, plus additional training and certification in one's chosen area of specialization. IT staff must have previous experience in their field of study, strong customer service and communication skills, and solid troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities. As an IT professional you must keep abreast of changing technology and current trends impacting the field.

These positions assist in the repair and maintenance of water, sewer and road systems, in addition to the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and markings. These positions require a minimum of Grade 12 education; a valid Class “D” licence with “Z” endorsement; an acceptable Driver’s Abstract; and previous experience working with various installation, repair and maintenance of roads, water, sewer or traffic signs and markings. These roles require the ability to deal effectively with the public, which includes strong interpersonal skills. An Operator in Training Certificate/Licence from the Ministry of Environment is considered an asset.

Legal and court services:

The Legal Department provides advice and representation on a variety of legal matters. They also manage the Provincial Offences Administration Office where administrative, prosecutorial and court support functions are provided for administering and prosecuting charges laid by police and other enforcement agencies under provincial statutes and municipal by-laws. Qualifications for these positions may include a Paralegal, Law Clerk or Court and Tribunal Agent diploma or degree. Licensing by the Law Society of Upper Canada may also be required for certain positions. Previous legal/court room experience is also needed, preferably in a municipal environment. A thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of law, advocacy, federal, provincial and municipal statutes and by-laws is required.

Long-term care services:

A wide range of services and support are provided by staff of the Region's four long-term care homes. A team of Health Care Aides, Registered Practical Nurses and Registered Nurses collaborate to provide care to residents. Health Care Aides require completion of a Personal Support Worker Certificate, which consists of a minimum of 600 hours (in-class and practicum hours). RPNs and RNs must possess a diploma or degree in nursing, as well as current registration from the Ontario College of Nurses. Recreation Programmers and Adjuvants are responsible for providing recreational and therapeutic programs and services to residents. Qualifications include a diploma in Recreation and Leisure, Therapeutic Recreation, Kinesiology; or as an Occupational and Physiotherapist Assistant. Registered Occupational Therapists also form part of the team. Other skills, abilities and characteristics we look for when hiring for these positions include care and compassion, customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as a passion for working with the elderly. A current criminal reference check, with vulnerable sector screening, is also required for all those working in long-term care.

Nursing services:

RNs, RPNs and Health Care Aides are employed within the Region's four long-term care homes, as well as the Health Department. For additional details on these positions, please refer to the above paragraphs entitled Long Term Care and Health Services.

Paramedic services:

Paramedic services are provided by the Region's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Division. Positions in this division are responsible for responding to emergency 9-1-1 calls and administering life-saving treatment and services. Qualifications include post-secondary education in Paramedicine, plus current registration as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) or Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) through the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Working knowledge of applicable legislation and regulations impacting the provision of emergency medical services is necessary in this role, as is the ability to work well under extreme pressure.

Planning services:

Planners, GIS Technicians and Specialists are responsible for the development and implementation of the Regional Official Plan; and engage in long-range land use planning, transportation planning, and environmental planning, including policy and research. Qualifications include a diploma or degree in Urban Studies, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, plus membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI). Planners require strong report writing and research abilities, coupled with superior analytical skills. For some positions, working knowledge of Graphic Information Systems (GIS) software may be required.

Social services:

Income, employment and housing support within the Social Services Department, include positions, such as Caseworkers, Employment Counsellors, Family Support Workers and Housing Program Co-ordinators. These jobs require a degree in Social Sciences, related to Psychology, Sociology or Social Work, as well as additional training in Crisis Intervention. Knowledge of applicable legislation, including Ontario Works is needed in order to provide all available support and services to eligible residents. Demonstrated communication and negotiation skills, along with the ability to effectively and compassionately deal with clients in crisis situations are a must.

Various positions are employed in our Family Services Division, with the largest category of positions being Family Counsellors. These positions require post-secondary education at a Master’s level in a Social Work program; direct experience providing clinical therapy; and working with standards, principles, and theories associated with work in human services. Family Counsellors are also required to belong to a relevant professional associations and/or regulatory body, and to comply with accreditation standards. The Adult Community Support Services (ACSS) Worker requires a post-secondary education in Developmental Services, in addition to work experience related to services/support for adults aged 18 years and older, and their families, who have been medically diagnosed with a developmental disability. These positions include travel on a regular basis, and require a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver's Licence, including access to a reliable vehicle.

All positions in this division require superior verbal and written communication skills; professional and ethical interaction with clients and other professionals; the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment; and excellent interpersonal, organization, and time management skills.

The majority of positions in the Social Services Department require superior computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and database-related software technologies.

Depending on the job category, various positions require a current acceptable criminal reference check with either standard or vulnerable sector clearance.

Skilled trades:

These positions are available throughout various departments, including Works, Transit, and long-term care. Regulated skilled trade workers require a post-secondary diploma, plus the necessary Certificate of Qualification from the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities in their specific area of specialization. These positions often require additional training and certification, along with strong analytical, assessment and troubleshooting skills. Regulated skilled trades include Electricians, Diesel Mechanics, Industrial Mechanic Millwrights, Third Class Operating Engineers, Instrumentation Technicians, Plumbers, Truck and Coach Technicians, Automotive Service Technicians, Auto Body and Collision Damager Repairers, and Computerized Process Control Specialists.

Back to Top