Application Forms and Fees

A Citizen's Guide to Subdivisions

What is a Subdivision?

When you wish to divide land into two or more parcels for development purposes, you are subdividing property. To subdivide land within the area municipalities of Scugog, Brock or Uxbridge you need the approval of the Region under the provisions of the Planning Act. If your property is located within the area municipalities of Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa or Clarington, please contact the appropriate area municipality.
If your proposal involves creating only one or two lots, the necessary approvals may be obtained by way of a consent (severance) for the Region’s Land Division Committee. Please refer to A Citizen's Guide to Consent.

What does the subdivision approval process achieve?

A subdivision application may propose a number of lots, ranging from 3 to 1000's. The Region’s subdivision approval process ensures that:

Where do I go for a subdivision application?

A Subdivision Application (PDF) can be picked up at the Region’s Planning Division, located on the 4th Floor at 605 Rossland Rd. E., in Whitby. Our telephone number is 905-668-7711 and our fax number is 905-666-6208. We also have a toll-free line 1-800-372-1102. You'll need Acrobat Reader to view the Subdivision Application Acrobat file.

What is the process for subdividing (in Brock, Scugog and Uxbridge Townships)?

There are a number of steps that must be completed before a new lot can be legally created and legally conveyed to a new owner. Before you submit an application for draft plan of subdivision approval to the Region’s Planning Division, you should pick up our Pre-Consultation Guidelines (PDF). Pre-consultation with staff of the Planning Division, other Regional Divisions and Departments, the appropriate area municipality and public agencies is mandatory. Staff will be able to tell you what supporting material you must submit, and what fees are involved.

Once you submit your application and it is deemed complete, your proposal will be presented to the public at a public meeting held by the area municipality. Your application and supporting studies will be circulated for review by regional and municipal staff and other public agencies for comments.

After this consultation step in the planning process, the Region’s Commissioner of Planning may grant “draft plan approval”, subject to a number of conditions. If the Commissioner determines that the application should be refused, or if you disagree with a proposed condition of draft approval, a recommendation report is forwarded to Planning Committee and Regional Council to make the decision. Written notice of a decision will be given to you and to each person or public agency who requested notification. Any of these parties may appeal this decision within 20 days of the notice being given.

This flowchart (PDF) illustrates the steps involved in processing a subdivision application.

What is Draft Approval?

If your application is granted draft approval by the Commissioner of Planning or Regional Council lots may be offered for sale, but are not yet ready to be legally transferred to the purchaser. When a plan has been draft approved there will be a list of conditions that must be addressed before the Region will allow the plan to be final approved and registered. Conditions usually include: entering into subdivision agreements; parkland dedication; environmental protection; servicing; letters of credit or other securities; naming of streets; successful rezoning of the area to reflect the proposed plan uses; and any other agency requirements.

Once all the conditions of draft approval have been satisfied and cleared by the applicable agencies, the Region is in a position to issue “final approval”. Once a plan has been final approved, it is then couriered to the Land Registry Office where the plan is registered. After the plan has been registered, legal title to the lots is created and the lots can be conveyed to the new purchasers.

Is a condominium a form of subdivision?

Yes. Condominiums are a form of property ownership in which title to a unit, such as an individual apartment in a high-rise building, is held by an individual together with a share of the rest of the property, which is common to all of the owners.

Condominiums can involve a brand new development, or an existing rental project which is converted to condominium ownership. Condominium status can apply to any type of residential building as well as commercial and industrial buildings.

What rights of appeal do you have?

Appeals to the Ontario Municipal Board can be made in three ways:

How can you find out more?

For more information on subdivision and condominium applications, please contact the Durham Region Planning Division at 905-668-7711. Our toll-free line is 1-800-372-1102. Our fax number is 905-666-6208.