Long-Term Care and Services for Seniors

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you apply to a Long-Term Care home?

The Central East Community Care Access Centre (CE-CCAC) is the gatekeeper for a number of services both community and residential. All admission to Long-Term Care, convalescent care and short stay go through the central intake at CCAC. Admission to Adult Day Programs is also coordinated through CE-CCAC.

What is Short-Stay Accommodation?

Seniors who are recovering from illness or injury sometimes require short-stay services offered by Long-Term care Homes without needing to be admitted permanently. The maximum length of stay is a maximum of 90 days in one calendar year. Admission to the program can be made through the Central East CCAC.

What if a bed is not available in my home Community?

If an applicant’s need for care is urgent, and a bed is not available in their home community/region, the applicant will be offered a bed in a facility outside their home community/region.

If the applicant accepts the alternate placement, he/she will be offered the next available bed in their home community/region. If a bed becomes available and the client chooses to remain in the alternate placement facility, their name will be removed from the wait list.

Who do I contact to lodge a complaint about a nursing home?

Long-Term Care ACTION Line – 1-866-434-0144
Director, Performance Improvement and Compliance Branch
Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care
11th Floor, 1075 Bay St.
Toronto, ON M5S 2B1

Who do I contact to lodge a complaint about a Retirement home?

Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority – 1-855-275-7472

Housing Options: Retirement Home, Supportive Housing, Rent-Geared to Income, and a Long-Term Care?

RETIREMENT HOMES: are a private business that sell various combinations of accommodations, support services and personal care. Anyone can apply to live in a retirement home. You are responsible for the entire cost of both your accommodation and care services. Retirement homes are regulated under the Retirement Homes Act. For information about retirement homes in your community, contact the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority.

SUPPORTIVE HOUSING: programs provide on-site personal support services for seniors living as tenants in designated residential buildings. These programs are designed to help people live independently in their own apartments. Services include personal support/attendant services, essential homemaking services and staff available 24 hours a day to handle scheduled care and emergency needs. Contact can be made at the Central East Community Care Access Centre (CE-CCAC) at 905-430-3308.

Rent-Geared-To-Income Housing: Social housing is developed with government assistance for low-to moderate-income Ontarians. The length of time before a unit becomes available will vary depending on your location. An application for rent-geared to-income assistance can be made through the Region’s Housing Services Division at 905-666-6222.

LONG-TERM CARE HOME: Long-term care homes are residential homes that provide ongoing care to patients whose care needs cannot be met in the community. People may require this level of support due to advancing age, disability or declining health. If you are considering a Long-Term Care Home, you must contact the Central East Community Care Access center (CCAC) at 905-430-3308 or 1-800-2633877

What is elder abuse?

Elder abuse includes any action or inaction, misuse of power and/or betrayal of trust, or a failure to demonstrate respect, by a person against a resident that the person knew or ought to have known would cause, or could reasonably be expected to cause, harm to the residents health, safety or well-being (Reference: Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, 2004).

What are the different forms of elder abuse?

Elder abuse can take many forms, including financial, emotional, physical, or sexual abuse or neglect. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger or if help is needed in an emergency, call 911.

Who do I call if I suspect abuse?

If you or a senior you know has been a victim of a theft, fraud or physical assault, contact one of the following;
Region of Durham: Tammy Rankin, Advisor-Seniors' Safety, 905-668-7711 ext. 2460
Durham Regional Police: 905-579-1520, ext. 5624
Senior’s Support Coordinator: 905-579-1520 ext. 5624
Seniors CRIMESTOPPERS: 1-800-222-8477

What assistance is there to assist people with dementia who may wander or become lost?

To assist people with dementia who may wander or become lost, and support caregivers and communities, the Alzheimer Society of Ontario in partnership with local societies has developed Finding Your Way. This program will raise awareness about the risks of wandering and going missing for people with dementia, and offer practical advice about how to manage these risks and how to respond most effectively if a missing incident occurs.

For more information:
Finding Your Way

Alzheimer Society of Ontario

What is the purpose of the Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee’s (OPGT) guardianship investigation service?

This office delivers services that safeguard the legal, personal and financial interests of certain private individuals and estates. The OPGT will conduct an investigation when it receives information that an individual may be incapable and at risk of suffering serious financial or personal harm and no alternative solution is available. An investigation may result in the OPGT asking the court for permission to make decisions on the person’s behalf on a temporary or long-term basis.

Why do I need a Power of Attorney?

Many people believe their families will be able to step in if something happens, and they cannot make decisions for themselves. This is not always the case.
A Power of Attorney is a legal document that gives someone else the right to make decisions on your behalf.
You can name someone to make financial decisions for you, such as paying your bills, with a continuing power of attorney for property.
For personal care and health decisions, such as where you live, what you eat or what medical care you will receive if you get sick or injured, you can name someone in a power of attorney for personal care.
Tip: No one can make you sign a power of attorney if you don't want to. But, if you don't choose one, the government may have to appoint someone to make certain decisions for you. It's better if you choose someone you feel you can really trust, who knows your wishes

What is the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)?

ACE is a specialty community legal clinic that provides low-income seniors with legal services, including advice and representation to individual and group clients. ACE serves clients 60 years of age and over who live in the Greater Toronto Area, and may also provide services to seniors outside of Toronto if a case is of significance to the seniors’ community.

T: 416-598-2656
W: www.acelaw.ca

How do I contact Telehealth Ontario?

Available 24/7 this free service connects you to a registered nurse who can provide confidential health advice and general health information.
T: 1-866-797-000
W: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/telehealth/

What is "Phishing"?

Attackers who use "phishing" techniques will send seniors email messages directing them to fraudulent websites that appear to represent trusted organizations, such as banks. These fraudulent websites lure visitors into providing personal information, such as credit card or social insurance numbers, bank account information or passwords. Criminals then use this information to commit fraud.

Seniors are often the target of frauds and scams, and can be targeted in person, over the telephone or online.

The SeniorBuster program offers education, counselling and referrals for senior victims of illegal mass marketing fraud and identity theft or fraud. For more information contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or visit their website at www.antifraudcentre.ca

I am a victim of fraud, how do I report it?

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) receives thousands of e-mail complaints every month. If the message is fraud related and not just annoying spam you can forward the message to the CAFC at info@antifraudcentre.ca and it will be added to our database to be compared for similarity to other submissions. If the message is confirmed to be connected to mass marketing fraud, the data may be forwarded to the appropriate e-mail service provider for consideration and to determine if the account should be terminated. Whenever possible you should try to forward the complete fraud message with header. After forwarding to the CAFC, we advise consumers to delete any e-mail messages they suspect are fraudulent. Mark the message as spam to prevent receiving further messages from that sender. Doing so also helps e-mail service providers by populating their company database, activating spam filters which ultimately can protect others from receiving similar messages. If you have lost money to this scam report it to your local police and to the CAFC. Retain the original message, as it may be required as evidence if a criminal investigation is conducted and charges are laid.
Contact number – 1-888-495-8501

What is Identity Theft?

Identity theft occurs when someone misuses your personal information without your knowledge or consent for their benefit. Seniors are often targets for identity theft because they have spent a lifetime building solid credit ratings and growing their investments. If you think you’ve given personal information to a fraud or scam artist, contact your financial institution immediately and report the incident to the police.

Is there financial assistance available to help with the cost of making your home safer and more accessible?

As a Senior of 65 years or older in Ontario, you could qualify for a tax credit to help with the cost of making your home safer and more accessible.
Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit can be claimed by senior homeowners and family members who live with them. Some examples of home modifications include wheel-in or walk-in showers, grab bars and handrails, non-slip flooring in the bathroom, etc. Learn more by calling 1-866-668-8297 or go to www.ontario.ca/healthyhomes

What is the Assistive Devices Program and their contact information?

If you are an Ontario resident with a long-term physical disability, you may be eligible to receive funding assistance from this program towards personalized assistive devices to help you live more independently. The Program can help with costs such as wheelchairs, respiratory devices, hearing aids, needles and syringes for seniors, etc.
To learn more call 1-800-268-6021 or visit their website at www.ontario.ca/ru8

What financial assistance is available for Veterans?

Veterans Affairs Canada offers a wide range of services and benefits to eligible veterans such as; disability pensions, free legal help with their claims for disability benefits, war veterans allowance to eligible low-income veterans, and their families.
To learn more on this or Benevolent Funds that assist veterans and their dependants relating to basic needs (food, shelter and medical care) contact the Veterans Affairs Canada at 1-866-522-2122 or visit their website at www.veterans.gc.ca

Who can I contact if I need help with transportation to medical appointments, shopping, home help with light housekeeping, yard work, snow shovelling, etc?

Community Care Durham is a multi-service charitable organization that provide various services free of charge or for a minimal fee.
Learn more at www.communitycaredurham.on.ca
Or call 905-430-5613 (Oshawa location)

What is Specialized Geriatric Mental Health Outreach Program?

These programs provide assessment, consultation, treatment and education to seniors with serious mental illness, as well as to their families and service providers. To find out about a program in your area, contact your family doctor or the Central East Community Care Access Centre at 905-430-3308.

What is the contact information for the Durham Transit Specialized Services?

Durham Region Transit Commission
605 Rossland Road, East,
Whitby ON L1N 6A3

What is the contact information for the Seniors Activity centers in Durham Region?

Pickering Village - 905-683-8460
South Pickering Senior Clubs - 905-420-5049
Ajax Friendship Club - 905-686-1573
Whitby - 905-668-1424
Clarington Golden Age - 905-649-1031
Clarington Older Adult Association, Beech Centre - 905-697-2856
Oshawa Seniors Centre - 905-576-6712
Uxbridge - 905-852-5233

How do I obtain a hearing aid?

For information regarding hearing aids, please refer to health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/publications/hearaid.aspx.