Bookmark this page
Housing and Homelessness

Directive # 2002 - 13

Date: August 26, 2002

The policies, procedures and Service Manager Requirements in this Directive are to be implemented by the Housing Access Centre (Durham Region) Cooperative Inc. and all Housing Providers in the Region of Durham included under the provisions of the Social Housing Reform Act and its associated Regulations.

Please note: If your housing corporation is not covered by the Social Housing Reform Act, this Directive is for information purposes only.


Regional Consent Form


The collection, use and disclosure of personal information pertaining to rent-geared-to-income households must be in accordance with the provisions of the Social Housing Reform Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Ontario Regulation 298/01 of the Social Housing Reform Act requires that a consent form be signed by all households applying for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance.

In addition, the Region of Durham may require that the household sign a new consent when RGI eligibility is reviewed.

Action Required

The attached Regional Consent form is to be used by all housing providers and the Housing Access Centre (Durham Region) Cooperative Inc. (HAC), and replaces any existing consent forms that may currently be in use.

The new consent form may be used to request verification from or share information with third parties regarding the household's eligibility for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance. HAC and housing providers may also use this form to request information from Ontario Works staff.
HAC will have the household complete this consent at the time of application for RGI assistance.

Housing providers will have a new consent signed at the time of offer when all information provided for the RGI application is verified. A new consent will be signed at each annual review thereafter.

All members of the household who are 16 years of age or older must sign the consent. If a member of the household is unable for any reason to sign the consent or to make a valid application and give a valid consent, the form may be signed on their behalf by a:

  • Parent or guardian
  • Power of attorney
  • Person who is otherwise authorized to sign the application and consent on the member's behalf

If the household consists of more than one family unit or benefit unit, a separate consent is required for each. For example, if two unrelated single women share a two-bedroom unit, a separate consent is required for each member of the household.

Housing providers and HAC should ensure that the consent is specific to their own organization.

You may request further copies (or an electronic copy if desired) of the new consent form by contacting:

Region of Durham, Housing Services Division
850 King St. W.
Oshawa, ON  L1J 8N5
Phone: 905-721-6802 or 1-866-390-6824

An electronic copy (PDF) of the consent is also available for applicants on the Region of Durham's website at under Housing Services.

If you have any questions please contact your Housing Co-ordinator.


Shirley Van Steen
Director of Housing Services
Region of Durham

Mary E. Simpson
Director of Financial Planning
Region of Durham