Bookmark this page
Housing and Homelessness

Special Needs

What is special needs housing?

Special needs housing is available for people that require:

  • Accessibility modifications.
  • Provincially supported services to allow them to live independently in the community.

There are a number of housing providers that offer special needs housing units within their projects. You do not need to be eligible for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance to apply for special needs housing, but if you need subsidy you must complete an application for RGI assistance.

How to apply for a modified unit

If you would like to apply for a modified unit, contact your nearest Durham Access to Social Housing (DASH) office. If you are also applying for RGI assistance, you will be given an RGI application to complete. The modified units are listed in part two of the Application for RGI Assistance (PDF) . If you are not applying for RGI assistance, you do not need to complete this application. DASH will give you information about the housing providers that offer modified units.

All applicants for modified units are placed chronologically on the same waiting list whether or not they have also applied for RGI assistance. Special priority applicants (victims of abuse) are given first priority.

How to apply for supportive housing

If you require provincially modified support services to live independently, you can be referred directly to certain housing providers by your support agency. The following are some of the housing providers that have agreements with particular service agencies that help people live independently in the community:

  • Consideration Co-op.
  • Cormack Station.
  • New Hope Dwellings.
  • Northview Meadows Co-op.

Contact your support service provider to see if they have an agreement with any of these housing providers.