Durham's Waste Management Facilities
The Region of Durham operates a number of licensed Waste Disposal Sites for the disposal, recycling, composting, and reuse of residential household waste.
The following waste materials are accepted:
No commercial hazardous waste accepted at any site.
Oshawa, Port Perry and Brock
Tuesday to Saturday
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Sundays, Mondays and Holidays
Please note: Beginning the first Thursday in May, until the first Thursday in October, the Regionâ€™s waste facilities in Oshawa and Port Perry will have extended hours from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Thursdays only.
1640 Ritson Rd. N.
1623 Reach St.
C22480 Brock Sideroad #17
Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste will be accepted on behalf of the Region at no charge at the following location:
Miller Waste Durham
1220 Squires Beach Rd., Pickering
Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste is only accepted from Tuesday to Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All other waste delivered to this site is subject to the rates and hours posted by the private operator. Contact 905-426-4222 for further information.
Various private waste sites exist. Please see your yellow pages for private waste disposal options and disposal fees.
For information on how to further recycle Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste in your community visit makethedrop.ca.
All vehicles, including cars, vans, and pickup trucks are subject to waste disposal charges. Charges are based on the weight of material disposed.
Methods of payment are: Cash, VISA or Interac. No cheques or accounts will be accepted.
For detailed information on waste disposal fees, see Site Operating Procedures.
Regional Waste Management Facilities are generally busiest on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until lunch. Schedule your visit for a Wednesday, Thursday or a Friday.
You can help shorten the line-ups. Make sure you have a full load of waste materials for disposal, before visiting a site. Full loads mean fewer trips for you and shorter line-ups for everyone else.
- Enter scale on green light or as directed. Stop at operator’s window or microphone/speaker. Stay in vehicle. Please roll down your window and talk to the scale operator.
- Declare type of waste material being delivered. Choose one of the following:
- Garbage: general residential waste other than recyclables, organics, municipal hazardous or special waste, metal goods and appliances, scrap metal, plastic signs, polystyrene, porcelain, tires, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment, drywall, wood, natural Christmas trees and leaf and yard waste.
- Blue Box: newspaper, glass bottles and jars, cardboard, boxboard, metal and aluminum food and beverage containers, all plastic bottles with a twist-off lid, milk and juice cartons, empty aerosol and paint cans.
- No fee disposal material (must be dedicated loads of one or more of these materials, for fees to be waived):Â bulky white polystyrene, Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste, used tires, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment, agricultural bale wrap and plastic signs.
It is the responsibility of the vehicle operator to fully and properly declare the type of waste being delivered. If not, the weigh scale system will default to "Garbage". Once a vehicle drives off the scale, the materials rate will not be changed.
- Exit scale when given the green light or as directed. Drive to unloading area. Place waste materials in designated containers, as posted by signs or as directed by staff.
- All outbound vehicles must drive over the outbound scale, prior to leaving the site, and pay applicable waste disposal charges.
- Enter scale when given the green light or as directed. Drive up to the operator's window. Stop. Stay in vehicle. Please have payment ready to reduce the line-ups and speed up service.
- Wait for direction from the scale operator. The computerized weigh scale system calculates waste disposal charges.
- Waste disposal fees are as follows:
Minimum basic charge:
$5 per vehicle per load
Garbage, blue box, yard waste and all mixed loads:
$120 per 1,000 kg.
(For every 8.34 kg (18.38 lbs) or fraction thereof, there will be a $1 charge.)
100 per cent Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste loads only: No charge.
100 per cent Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment loads only: No charge.
100 per cent used tire loads only: No charge.
100 per cent white agricultural bale wrap loads only: No charge.
100 per cent plastic signs loads only: No charge.
100 per cent bulky polystyrene loads only: No charge.
- To receive the Combo Deal whereby "no charge" applies for disposal of a combination of any or all these materials: Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment, tires, bale wrap, plastic signs, and/or polystyrene. No other waste materials can be included in the load for this "no charge" option.
- Daily load restrictions per vehicle are as follows:
- 50 litres of Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste of any kind is accepted
- No commercial hazardous waste of any kind is accepted.
- When scales are not in service, a flat rate charge system will apply and staff will estimate the loads.
- Vehicles with unpaid accounts are not permitted into any Regional Waste Management Facility until the account is paid in full.
For residents wishing to dispose of unwanted but useable paints or stains, the Region offers a special program that encourages other residents to reuse these materials. This program operates out of the Region's Waste Disposal Site in Oshawa only. The Paint Reuse Centre offers residents good re-useable paints and stains at "no charge".