Bookmark this page

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify for assistance if I have an existing overpayment?

Even if you have an existing overpayment, you are entitled to apply for financial assistance through the Ontario Works Program. To begin the process of applying, please refer to the question, How Do I Apply for Assistance.

How do I fill out my Income Reporting Statement (IRS)?

When is the Income Reporting Statement (IRS) due?

The Income Reporting Statement (IRS) is due on the sixteenth day of each month. Submitting the IRS on time will help to avoid a delay in receiving your monthly financial assistance. It can either be mailed in using the postage paid envelope or dropped off at the office.

Submitting your IRS before this date is not recommended. Your caseworker may not accept this document early, and may in fact send it back to you to return on the appropriate date.

How do I apply for assistance?

Applications for financial assistance are done by calling the Central Intake Line at 905-428-8982 (or toll-free at 1-877-678-6333). The hours of operation are Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The person who answers the phone has been specially trained to help you. Together you will go through the information needed, and an office appointment will be scheduled with a caseworker. You will also be told what you will need to bring to the interview.

How do I report fraudulent activity?

Fraudulent activity or information may be reported by calling the Fraud Hotline at 1-800-394-7867. You do not have to give your name or any details about yourself. The call can remain anonymous.

Back to Top

Where can I cash my cheque? 

If you have a valid bank account, Ontario Works cheques can be cashed at any financial institution. If you do not have a valid bank account, your cheque can be stamped by the front counter staff. Both you and the front counter staff will sign the back of the cheque. The staff will then verify that your signature matches the provided identification. You can then cash your cheque at any RBC Royal Bank location without a fee.

How do I make a payment towards my overpayment?

You can make a payment in person at any office location or by sending it through the mail. Payment can be made by cash, cheque or money order. It is recommended that cash NOT be sent through the mail. Cheques/money orders should be made payable to “The Region of Durham”. Also, print your name and date of birth, or identification number, on the cheque, so your payment is applied to the correct account.

How can I see my caseworker?

It is recommended that you contact your caseworker first by telephone. If your caseworker feels that it is necessary, they will book an appointment for you to come in and meet with them. If you come to the office without an appointment, your caseworker may not be available to speak/meet with you. You can, however, book an appointment through one of the front counter staff to come back and meet with your caseworker on his/her office day.

How do I check the status of my file?

You can call the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System Line at 1-800-808-2268 to check the status of your file. The hours of operation are Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, from noon to 5 p.m. Simply follow the voice automated instructions. Remember to always keep your Identification and Personal Identification Number confidential.

Back to Top

What do I do if I did not receive my cheque?

You will need to speak with your caseworker. Please contact the appropriate office location.

How do I obtain a replacement T5?

All T'5's are replaced by the office where the client is currently receiving assistance. For clients with terminated status cases, they can obtain a replacement T5 at the office where they last received assistance.

You can request your T5 by calling the dedicated T5 Line at 905-666-6239 ext 2511 (or toll-free at 1-800-372-1102 ext. 2511). There is no live person who will answer your call. It is an automated system where you leave the following information on the voice mail:

  • First and last name.
  • Address.
  • Phone number.
  • Date of birth.
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • Year for which T5 document is required.

Staff will mail the replaced T5 to the mailing address given.

Who do I contact for dental payments?

You would contact Oral Dental Health at 905-723-1365 ext. 3149.

Who do I contact in regards to optical voucher payments?

Please call 905-668-7711 ext. 2761 for information on optical voucher payments.

Who do I contact in regards to an invoice payment status if I am a vendor?

You would contact the Region’s Finance Department at 905-668-7711.

Who do I contact with questions regarding optician and optometrist rates?

You would call 905-668-7711 ext. 2761 for information related to optician and optometrist rates.

What dates are Ontario Works payments made?

View the Ontario Works Payment Schedule

Back to Top